From Wedding Gown to Christening Gown

Two different friends sent me articles this week about upcycling ideas, saying that the ideas reminded them of me, "in an entirely complimentary way." I love thinking outside the box, upcycling, reusing, recycling, and using my thinking cap to come up with clever ideas. I take it as a great compliment that both ladies thought of me. Their comments got me to thinking about one of my first and favorite projects, which I want to share with you, especially on this "Transformation Tuesday."  I can't take the credit for construction of this gown, though it was my idea, and I think one of my best ideas yet.
I was married on September 21, 2002, and my daughter Courtland was born on Mark's and my second wedding anniversary, September 21, 2004.  I loved my wedding gown, as most brides do. I am very sentimental, and would have loved for Courtland to have worn my wedding gown one day, but am also realistic and know that a huge and wonderful part of planning a wedding is shopping for the perfect gown. I wanted a means of passing my gown down to her without imposition. I decided that turning my wedding gown into Courtland's Christening gown would be the very best, most special way to do so.  
www.sovamom.blogspot.com Wedding Gown Transformation: From Wedding Gown to Christening Gown
I searched for intricate gown patterns and bought several, but in the end decided to go with a very simple, classic design for her Christening gown. My wedding gown had a six foot long cathedral train, which was used to make the gown. The beading on my dress was removed by hand and hand sewn back onto Courtland's gown. I had a dress designer in Savannah, Georgia to make her gown from mine. It was one of those special projects that was well worth the time, effort, and the expense. I left enough fabric at the hem of the gown to embroider the monogram of each person who wears the gown. My monogram was first, then Courtland's. Next came her cousin Greer's monogram, soon to be followed by her newest cousin Isabella.   The picture on the right was taken from a portrait next to dim lighting. The gown is ivory like my wedding gown, but appears to be darker in the picture. No changes were made to the fabric in terms of color or texture.   If you have been holding on to your wedding gown, consider a project such as this. You never know, you could create an heirloom piece that will be used and cherished for generations.  xoxo, Erin

Comments

Adsense