Southern Virginia Garden Fresh Tomato Sandwiches - Is there anything better?

I have eaten four tomato sandwiches this week. Four. Fresh from the Southern Virginia vine. Still warm from the sun. Salt and peppered. Only Duke's will do. Tomato sandwiches.
My friend Ann makes the best, most delicious tomato sandwiches. She bakes loaves of sourdough bread and spreads pesto on each slice, homemade from fresh basil she grows in her herb garden. She then tops the bread, topped with the basil pesto, with her juicy home grown tomatoes. Hers are the best. Mine are a close second.
I love standing at my kitchen sink and seeing my tomato vines just beside the patio. It is even more enjoyable to saunter outside and twist a fresh tomato right off the vine. Carrington, my Southern Virginia Beau, is growing seven varieties of peppers - red, orange, green, yellow, and purple bells, plus mild jalapenos and sweet peppers. Miss Courtie is growing berries and watermelons, though the melons haven't yet graced us with their presence. My squash leaves are huge. My herbs are fragrant. My mint is out of control, but I like it like that. Mojitos, anyone? I do use my mint to make this wonderful Mediterranean orange salad. I will be happy to post my recipe and to share my mint if anyone would like to try it.   
Are you growing anything this year? What are your favorites from the garden? If you have any great recipes or favorite ways to eat your veggies, please let me know. Right now I am experimenting with growing lemon trees from seeds, and I would love to make some raised garden beds for fall planting. Suggestions are welcomed! I'll probably be on Pinterest the rest of the night searching for ideas, but I'll leave you with this picture of Cary and his itty-bitty jalapenos. Can't wait to make peach mango salsa with these little bits of spicy green goodness! It would make sense for me to post a photo of my tomato sandwiches, but they are long gone! Maybe next time...
xoxo, Erin
Southern Virginia Mom


Comments

Adsense