There is a new coffee shop and lunch counter in the Town of Halifax. You may have known and loved Common Grounds in the Centerville section of South Boston, and hated to see them close. The business was actually sold last year, and the new owner, Chester Sherman, changed the name and location. They are now located in what used to be the Velro Church Supply building in Halifax, right across the street from the Halifax County Courthouse.
Chester's Cafe has the same owners, same staff, and the same decadent coffee drinks, many with rich flavor combinations like the Almond Joy - think chocolate, coconut, and a touch of almond syrup.
So what's new? The name is now Chester's Cafe. The location is now in Halifax, only a few minutes from its previous location, but more accessible to those working in the Mary Bethune office complex, the Courthouse, or any of the Halifax businesses, and to those out doing business, shopping, or simply enjoying a Main Street stroll. The delicious coffee menu has been downsized to include customers' favorites, but the lunch menu has been upsized to now include house made sandwiches and hot dogs, which seem to be a hit. Here is a sample of the menu when I was there with my girlfriends recently.
Just in case you need a reason to visit, I offer you not one, but Five (5) Reasons to Visit Chester's Cafe:
- Chester's Cafe is new to the Town of Halifax. Satisfy your curiosity by stepping inside, and welcome the staff to their new location. Be friendly. Who needs a reason for that?
- You're probably still frozen from the -6 degree temps last week. Wrapping your frozen fingers around a steamy cup of molten java will jumpstart the spring thaw.
- Have you tasted these coffee drinks? How do I describe them? They are like nectar of the gods. If you don't like yours super sweet, ask for more coffee and less syrup.
- They are convenient, serve lunch foods, are quick, and inexpensive, perfect for a grab and go on your lunch break.
- Small, local owned businesses really are valuable assets to our community and a service to their customers.
I can't imagine the courage it takes to open a new business. If you have any constructive suggestions for them, voice them to the owners. Remember they are new and still learning what works best for the business and the customers. Do you have a favorite menu item? Let me know. Last week the coffee of the week was Cherry Cordial. I personally love anything with mint.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you get a chance to taste test the coffee drinks, and please remember to let me know if you pick a favorite. Until then take good care, and try to keep warm.
Southern Virginia Mom