Happy 10th Birthday, Miss Courtie!

I can hardly believe it! Later this month, my baby girl will be 10! As in ten. 10! Ten years old!
When Miss Courtie had her first birthday party at this very spot, it was a huge celebration! At least 40 children attended our luau, plus their families, we had music, a magician, and tons and tons of food, plus equal parts stress to go with it. Over the years, our birthday parties have varied tremendously. We've had luaus, sleepovers, dinners, family gatherings, traditional parties, pool parties, a bowling party, a pirate party with a treasure hunt, and even a huge barbecue with petting zoo and pony rides. I am exhausted just remembering that one! I think the older Courtland gets, the wiser she is about what's truly important, and as parents, we do, too. That's one reason we were thrilled when Courtie said that she wanted to simply spend the day at her Nana and Papa's house with the swimming pool, the grill, and her family. We'll go out to dinner on her birthday, she might have a sleepover with a few girls from her class at school, but this is the celebration that kicks off the birthday festivities. Pictured above are (left) her brother Carrington, Courtland, and cousins Charleigh, Greer, and Andrew. This low key birthday party with family was just what the doctor ordered.
I could write a book on the birthday cakes I have made in the past. Some have been adorable! Some could have been basis for a horror novel. Really, remind me to tell you sometime about the guitar cake I made for Courtland's Elvis Presley themed 4th birthday party. Yes, you read that right.  Let's just say it was more of a broken down ukelele when I got finished with it.  Well, this may not be the cutest cake I've ever made, but it's what you get when you ask for an under-the-sea themed cake the day before your party. This is three layers of white cake, iced with blue raspberry icing, surrounded by graham cracker crumbs and decorated with chocolate pearls.  I had cut out a hole in the middle of the second layer and filled it with more chocolate pearls, which were supposed to trickle out when I cut the cake. It sort of worked. Sort of. Courtie loved the cake, and that's what really matters.         
My parents and I divied up the food. My dad grills the absolute best barbecue chicken, and my mom's baked beans are as good as the day is long! I made the pasta salad with fresh tomatoes and brought a watermelon. The food was delicious!
Miss Courtie loved all of her gifts, the clothes, stuffed animals, Toms, new boots, and the gift of all gifts, Billy the Kid, our new guinea pig. Welcome to your new family, Billy!
 
Happy 10th birthday to you, my ever so sweet, animal loving 10 year old, Courtland Elizabeth! I still can't believe it! It is our job as parents to teach you the important things in life, but we also learn so much from you on a daily basis. You're growing into such a thoughtful, grounded, and beautifully spirited young lady, and I thank you for helping us to grow in love as your parents. Thank you for helping us to remember those things that are most important, like family, quality time, and our precious life together. With so much love, Mom
 
 


Comments

Adsense