Week in Review: Les Miserables Reception, Staunton River State Park Junior Rangers

This week I have helped throw a reception for the opening night of Les Miserables at the Prizery (which runs through July 20, btw. Go!), worked in my basement, (which we are designing on a dime and is looking cute! cute! cute!), couponed (I saved $90.00 at CVS today! Yay!), took 5 children to Junior Rangers at the Staunton River State Park, skipped out on my workouts (one step back), and so I need... a ME DAY. I can't wait for a special treat tomorrow. I have been invited to try a new product. Well, new to me, anyway. I'm getting ready to give myself a good old fashioned home mani/pedi so I'm good and ready for this product review. ps Miss Courtie is going with me for a little mother-daughter pampering. Looking forward to blogging about this. Wish us luck! In the meantime, here's a recap of a few things we had fun doing this week.
The tables that the hospitality committee set up for the reception at the Prizery following the opening performance of Les Miserables.  Marie Ketchersid was able to get these red, white, and blue (which are the colors of the French flag) from Annin Flag Company, and Kirk Compton's mother made this absolutely gorgeous floral centerpiece.  I helped prepare the food, which included among other things, meatballs. When I made meatballs for the opening night of Hairspray a few weeks ago, we ran out, so I made sure to make lots and lots and lots of meatballs this time we wouldn't run out. We did not run out. In fact, I brought meatballs home with me, and have eaten meatballs for six meals in a row. I do not kid. 

Here is my crew on opening night. Putting these things together truly is a team effort and a family affair. Below is Courtland with her friend Victoria, who played young Cosette. Congratulations, Victoria! You were stunning!  


So, this is what happens when you keep your kids up a little too late at a party. I don't think he was actaully sleeping, just being a bit melodramatic. This is his way of saying, "Mooooooom, I'm reeeeeaaaaddddy to go hooooome." 
Les Miserables is being produced at The Prizery in South Boston, Virginia as part of their 5th Summer Theatre Celebration, a summerstock program employing 29 cast and crew members who auditioned at the SETC earlier this year. They have moved into South Boston-Halifax County for the summer. They are living with local families, being fed by local churches, families, and organizations, and are working at our community arts center, producing Broadway style shows that are awesome! There are still tickets available at www.prizery.com.  The show runs until July 20. Again, GO! 
What IS this? It's paper in the making. Cool, huh? 
The kids at Junior Rangers at the state park turned used paper into recycled paper using water, a blender, a mesh screen tray, and some good old fresh air and warm sunshine.
 
They played some educational games and answered questions about the environment and eco-issues.
  
This is where the children played a recycling game. It is also where Mark and I had our first official date. We packed a picnic dinner and blankets and went to Staunton River State Park one July night fifteen years ago this month to see Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was very romantic.  
Miss Courtie with the reusable shopping bag she designed: 
 
Finally, the whole group worked together to turn used paper and plastic products such as a cardboard box, paper towel holder, and red solo cups into an elephant. It was too cute! 
You didn't think we'd get out of the state park without holding a snake, did you? I held it, too!
 
Junior Rangers is held at Staunton River State Park on Wednesdays. It costs $10 per child, is for children ages 5-12, and each week's lessons and activities vary. Parents don't have to stay, but are welcome to if they want. The $10 includes a hot dog or pizza and drink from concessions. 
  
The kiddos worked hard at Junior Rangers, so we celebrated with a trip to the Mountain Road pool. Fun times!
This was Carrington at a cookout late last night, celebrating summer!
See why I need a little pampering? Moms, don't we all? I'll fill you in on the good stuff tomorrow. Stay tuned!
 

Comments

Adsense