Fresh Mint from My Friendship Garden, Perfect for Juleps with Friends on Derby Day

It's Derby Day! That means I have been outside in my Friendship Garden clipping fresh mint for juleps. I haven't slowed down much in the past few months, including to write and capture images of beautiful things, much less to smell the flowers, but today I did. No matter how simple or how small, fresh tiny buds capture my attention in the sweetest of ways and beckon me to quiet myself.
I call mine a Friendship Garden because almost everything I have was a gift from a dear friend. The daylillies were from my dear friend Tracy. She gave me two large ones, which I divided into twelve now large and beautiful border plants. The hostas were shared with me by my neighbor Vilma. We divided them about twelve years ago. A longtime friend Jerry shared the Lady Astor rose bushes with me, via an invitation to the grand opening of Lady Astor's childhood home as a Danville museum. I love having these in my front yard. The mint and the lemon mint were gifts from my friend Jeanene, and now serve as a wonderfully fragrant ground cover. The six strawberry plants were given to me by a dear friend, Jennifer. After my magnolias came down two years ago, my friend Rhonda gifted me with a tiny new magnolia with seven leaves to grow in its place.  The blackberries, blueberries, fruit tees, bulbs, herbs, vegetables, and other rose bushes are my gifts to myself.
Two Lady Astor Rose Bushes, cloned from the original rose bushes that Lady Astor gave each school child in Danville, Virginia, upon her visit home to the United States. These cloned bushes were grown in glass tubes at Virginia Tech.
Twelve Daylillies from my good friend and neighbor Tracy
Hostas and Daylillies from my friends and neighbors Vilma and Tracy
Wandering Wild Roses
Pink Wild Roses




Six Strawberry Plants, Which Have Since Multiplied
Blackberry Buds

Pedigree Mint from Jeanine's home, Woodlawn Plantation in Clover, Virginia
I stopped the smell the mint, then clipped a bunch for juleps.  

Simple Mint Julep Recipe


  1. Mix together equal parts water and sugar. Bring to a boil in a saucepan to make a simple syrup. After bringing to a boil, remove from heat and allow to cool.
  2. Clip stems of fresh mint. Muddle the leaves.
  3. Fill glasses with crushed ice.
  4. Add the crushed mint, simple syrup, then 2-3 ounces of Woodford Reserve bourbon.  Many variations exist, but this is the simplest and a nice introduction to the official drink of the Kentucky Derby.    
Next stop, Beth's house for Mint Juleps, Bourbon Balls, and Cheese Crisps, best enjoyed with friends. So don your hat and your best bow tie, and prepare to sip real slow. In my best Southern drawl, Happy Derby Day, Y'all!
xoxo, Erin
Southern Virginia Mom
Southern Virginia Mom Home

ps The flowers on my hat didn't come from my yard, but they did come from a local florist, Bill Granger at Triangle Florist. Monogram by Distrinct Impressions. Thanks so much Triangle Florist and Distinct Impressions for always making my hats look gorgeous! 

Comments

Adsense