I never know what to say, but I will always remember what I saw. My 9/11 Story

I never know what to say.
Mark has been at National Guard for four days. One day with Ft. Pickett headquarters, two days with the 29th, and 1 day with the 129th at Virginia Beach. He is ready to be home. We are ready for him to be home.  55 minutes to go.
Today is the fifteenth anniversary of 9/11.  I didn’t post anything on facebook about it. I haven’t mentioned it at all. I don’t know what to say. It’s strange how all this time I’ve never known what to say.  Whenever I think about that day, all I can think about is how isolated I was, and how I received so much misinformation. I was on an island in a developing nation with no television, no cell phone, no phone service at all, no computer, no internet, no radio, no newspaper. For four days I SCUBA dived, boated, swam, snorkeled, hiked, kayaked, ate, slept, drank, and got nearly eaten alive by mosquitoes. We were partially unaware, partially misinformed. 
When we got confirmation of what happened four days later, it was not as bad, yet worse than we could have imagined. It seems surreal now. But it’s not surreal. It was real then. It is real now. That’s why I have a hard time knowing what to say.  I will never forget the surprise, the pain, the panic, the shock, the fear, and the loss I observed from afar.  What I choose to remember is the unity, the heroism, the solidarity, the strength, and the patriotism that prevailed. The very real patriotism. Patriotism was stronger than political parties.  Patriotism unified divided people. Patriotism consoled our nation in its grief. Patriotism changed the perspective of an entire nation. Of the world.  I loved this country then.  I love her now. She is not defined by bickering. She is not defined by political parties. She is not defined by social media. She is not defined by those who mock her. She is defined from the inside out. The many different people who love her. The places that are unique to her. Her canyons and shining seas. The experiences of those who dwell in her. By those who stand for her. By those who have given their very being for her. She is a canvas, a mixed media. She is painted with diversity and ideas of cultures and peoples, and I love her for the breathtaking, awe inspiring, beautiful, intricate work of art that she is. God bless her.
Mark just walked through the door. We’re happy he’s home. May we always be so fortunate.  May we never forget. On September 11. On ordinary days. In the mundane. In the busy. In times of celebration. In times of hope. In times of conflict. In times of peace. May we never forget. Most importantly, may we always remember.
xoxo, Erin
Southern Virginia Mom
SoVAMom Home

**Most people who are old enough to remember, know exactly where they were and what they were doing on 9/11. The top picture is of me and school students in the West Indies. The bottom picture is of me and my friend Tina, SCUBA diving on September 11, 2001.  I will always remember the delicate juxtaposition of devastation and beauty in that moment. 

Comments

Adsense