Sorry I'm not around, but we're busy being not busy.


I have had some really sweet people in the community ask me about this blog lately. They want to know if and when I'm going to write again and want to know what we've been up to. They like the articles and photos and info that I share of our beautiful Southern Virginia community. I can't tell you enough how much those kind words mean to me.  As much as I would like to have written more, shared more, grown bigger, and reached more, other things have consumed my time. I'm sorry, but I've been been busy being not busy. And it has been a huge blessing. 

 Last school year, Mark was working full time and was in the National Guard. I was working, blogging, and volunteering on four community boards and the PTO. The children were in school. Between the two of them, they were involved in piano, cello, church children's choir, junior youth group, karate, soccer, basketball, dance, junior cotillion, junior youth group, tennis, and little theatre. I was literally driving down the road one day from one practice to another, most likely running late with a fast food stash and fighting back tears and thought to myself, "This is not how I want to live my life, and it is not how I want to rear my children."   
About a year ago, we made a deliberate decision to be less hurried and to spend more quality time doing things that matter most with the people we love the most.  That quickly translated into switching our focus from outside stimulus to each other. Less time spent on social media, less screen time in general, fewer extracurricular activities, and less rushing has not been so good for this blog. It has been a lot of fun, however, for our family. The tagline of our blog is "Making the Most of Life in Southern Virginia." We have come to realize that making the most of life doesn't mean having to fit every event and activity into our schedules and lives. Instead, making the most of life has meant learning to carefully select activities that are meaningful, which add to our quality of life. It means, one at a time, cutting out the things that are not meaningful, and trying new things that broaden and/or challenge us.  
I changed jobs. I now work 3-4 peaceful hours per day, five very consistent days per week. I finished out my terms on three boards, and had to bow out early on the fourth due to my new work schedule. I handed over my PTO responsibilities. Bye bye, box tops, and thank you Roxanne, the new coordinator! Even the children have cut back. Courtland kept piano, one dance class, junior cotillion, and junior youth group.  Carrington kept cello, soccer, and basketball.  I know, I know...It's still quite a load, but it's a huge improvement over where we were at this time last year. This really helped them to examine what is most important to them and why.
So, can I tell a difference? Absolutely I can, and I am more at peace because of it. 
Thank you so much to the people who have approached me to ask about this blog. I really have loved writing it. Whenever we are at a function or event or doing something fun, I often think, "This would make a great blog article!" But because of my attempts to spend less screen time and more face-to-face time, it hasn't happened the way I'd hoped. I decided that when the opportunities to write were authentic and not forced or rushed, then I would write again. I really appreciate your kind words more than you can know. Thank you so much for keeping up with me, checking in on me, and being such an encouragement. I am really, really thankful for you readers and for this outlet. I also really love our corner of the map and hope to be able to write more about it soon.   
Until then, we will be too busy being not busy. You might find us resting, kayaking, fishing, fishing some more, hiking, or driving around the Blue Ridge Parkway this fall.  Every once in a while you might find me carting kids, hauling instruments, kicking soccer balls, or perfecting the ballet bun, but rest assured we will not be in a hurry. Rest well, friends, and take good care.    
xoxo, Erin
Southern Virginia Mom
   

Comments

Adsense