Check Out Free EBooks & Audio Books with the Overdrive App via Your Public Library

I am addicted to audiobooks. I listen to them all the time.  Once I figured that I could strap my phone onto my arm while exercising, walking the dog, and/or doing housework, I was hooked. I tried other apps and websites before, but the books were either public domain (classics, but limited my choices), or came with a monthly or book-by-book fee.
Then I learned about Overdrive, a service used in conjunction with public libraries almost anywhere. Now I have access to all the Audiobooks, EBooks, and videos that your library has access to and without any fees. All that is  required is my smartphone and a public library card.  Here is how to use the app.

 Have your library card number and PIN available.  If you don't know your PIN, just call the library and ask for one. If you're not a library member, it is so easy to join. Just go to the nearest library to ask for one. There is no fee. Ask for a PIN while you're there.

Search for Overdrive and download the free app.

After installing the app, you will be directed to search for your public library. Entering my zip code, I was directed to the Southern Virginia Libraries network, and was able to select the South Boston-Halifax Library from the drop down menu. After selecting your library, enter your library card number and PIN. 






Once you are in the system, you can check out audiobooks and Ebooks. Just "Borrow," then download the files. When you are finished, "Edit" your list and click "Return."  If your book isn't available, you can request a hold. You can also create a wish list. You are able to check out 5 items at a time, have 5 items on hold at a time, and have an unlimited number of items on your wish list. I have 33 items on my list now, from Virginia Woolf to books about gardening.   






My children like Overdrive, too. They have their own library cards, so they can listen to books independently of me, and there are lots of children and teen selections, from Dr. Seuss to Harry Potter. It's a convenient and expense-free way of introducing different books and genres and allowing children be in control of their reading material. 





I bought my armband here on Amazon: Phone Arm Bands  This link will take you to a whole page of suggested arm bands, to make the search a little easier. I have used mine so often, that I'm going to need a new one, myself, soon. It is so convenient and makes listening easier almost everywhere. 

So there you have it, the fee-free convenience of Overdrive, a service offered through the local public library! If you sign up for a new library card, or if you download and use the app, make sure to let them know that you heard about it here!
xoxo, Erin
Southern Virginia Mom








Comments

Adsense