What to Expect at the New Ohm Yoga Center in Halifax, Virginia

How do you release tension and practice relaxation? I went to yoga class for the first time in a long time this week, and it was so wonderful! I stretched, toned muscles, breathed deeply, stretched some more, all in a comforting and relaxing atmosphere. I even had a brief head and neck massage. I heart Ohm Yoga.
First let me say, can you believe we even have a yoga center in Halifax? Though Yoga is a thousands year old practice with primitive origins, there is something that feels very progressive about having a yoga studio in rural, small town Southern Virginia. Support of this yoga center really speaks volumes of the level of community involvement and support from this traditional, yet progressive community. Ohm Yoga was located in the Town of Halifax near the courthouse, but has recently moved into a larger space just across the train tracks, across from the former dance studio, up a little ways from Toots Creek Antiques. The exterior of the Ohm Yoga looks like this.
The interior of the space was painted, the floor was replaced, and lighting was adjusted and added to create a serene environment.  Here is what to expect on the interior. 
Whether you have practiced yoga for years, or you are new to yoga, here are a few tips that will help you and connect you with this great yoga resource here in Halifax County in Southern Virginia, based solely on my personal experience.
1. First Class Jitters:  Everyone who practices yoga, including those whom my husband says can wrap themselves up like a pretzel, started somewhere. Most people don't go to their first yoga class and immediately start perfecting yoga poses. Most newcomers wouldn't know a cobra from a downward-facing dog. That's OK. It's like anything else in life. You have to start somewhere, and you will learn as you go. Your first class is free, by the way.  
2. Relaxation or Exercise? Yoga can be tailored to your personal needs and goals. If you are looking to stretch your body in a gentle and relaxing atmosphere, there is yoga class for that. If you are not able to get on the floor, and have delicate physical needs, there is a yoga class for that. You might benefit from Chair Yoga, which incorporates the use of a chair to help you stretch and is ideal for those otherwise unable to get up and down easily.  If your goal is to slim and tone and burn calories, yoga is great for that, too. Ohm Yoga Center holds Vinyasa Flow classes. According to internet sources, a 140lb person can burn 528 calories in one hour of Vinyasa Flow Yoga. I can't wait to see what my new Fitbit has to say about that.
3. What does Vinyasa Flow Mean? The word Vinyasa means "breath-synchronized movement." In Vinyasa Flow yoga, breathing technique is very important. Emphasis is placed on inhaling and exhaling as your body  moves, or flows, from one to pose to another. In Vinyasa Flow Yoga, you can expect a lot of movement, not just stretching.
4. What to wear? Wear something comfortable. You can wear stretch pants, or yoga pants. I like to wear form fitting clothing. When I lean over toward the front, putting my hands on the mat, I don't like for my shirt to hang open, and I don't like for shorts to hang open. Likewise, I like to wear a shirt that comes down to my hips, because when I stretch my arms and raise my hands above my head, I don't like my shirt riding up. Short answer: Long comfy pants and a form fitting lengthy shirt.
5. No shoes required. Most people go barefooted. Socks can be slippery. There is a cubby bench you can leave your purse and shoes in.
6. What do I need to take? No special equipment is needed, and you don't need to take anything with you. If you have your own yoga mat, that's great, but if not, Ohm Yoga owner and instructor Rebecca Ramey has plenty of mats and blankets at the studio. I use one of hers when I go. Grab a mat off the shelf when you enter, unroll it wherever you can find an empty space. Roll it back up when finished and put it back on the shelf. Grab a blanket, too, because...
7. At the end of the gentle flow class, Rebecca will have you lie down on your yoga mat, and will cover you with a blanket. She will place a weighted eye mask over your eyes. As soothing music continues to play, she will give a brief head and neck massage. Even if you find this a little different and maybe even awkward, you will quickly warm up to this. I know people that go to yoga just for this ten minutes of bliss. The only concern that I have during that 10 minutes is that I will start snoring, but Rebecca assures me that I won't be the first.
8. The Business Basics: You can find everything you need to know about cost, class schedule, location, and the studio here at the Ohm Yoga Center website. January 17, 2015, will mark the new location's official opening, and class schedules may be changing, so stay tuned. Rebecca is considering offering some new classes to accommodate more students and varied schedules. 
If I sound like I am pushing Rebecca and Ohm Yoga Center, it is because I am. The studio is a great asset to this community. Also, Rebecca is a fellow music classmate, kayak buddy, lunch date partner, and friend of mine, and I would love to see her have continued success in this venture. I first took her yoga class before she had a professional studio, when she was starting out teaching classes in the basement of St. John's Episcopal Church in Halifax. I have been really excited for her as I have watched her studio grow and her students grow in numbers. I am hoping that this post will shed light on what she does for her students and this community. I hope that you will consider working Yoga into your regular health and wellness routine, whether you are a fellow yogi or are curious about just getting started. If you're on the edge, my advice is this: Don't worry about what you can and can't do. Be bold. Be daring. Be adventuresome. Take a step in a new direction and try something new. You might just find that you love it. Hopefully I will see you in class. I might be the one snoring. Please wake me up before you leave.  
Until then, wishing you health, wellness, peace, and deep relaxation. Please meet me for yoga. I double downward facing dog dare you.
xoxo,  Erin
Southern Virginia Mom

Comments

Adsense