What's In My "Day Off?"

Have you ever seen the youtube videos called "What's In My Purse?" where girls show you...well, all the things in their purse? This is my grown up mom-version called "What's in my "Day Off?"  I have no idea what's in my purse, but I can share what's in my day. Some things are pretty mundane, and some are pretty cool.

This is how my day started, with a facebook post: I love having a day off from work! There is something so refreshing and enjoyable about going to the gym, making breakfast, packing two lunches, working the school lunch room, grocery shopping, hauling off the recycling, returning items to WalMart, running miscellaneous errands, doing three loads of laundry, cleaning the house, walking the dog, cooking dinner, and volunteering at the Beehive the box office on a day when I am not also working 8 hours. 
 
There is some sarcasm in the comment above, but there is some truth in it, too. When I'm working and I feel like is so hectic that I'm falling behind, it truly is nice to take my dog for a walk, and catch up on the laundry, and cook a nice meal since we've been eating out more than I want to admit. Even doing things like running errands and going grocery shopping are things I've sometimes taken for granted. In this sometimes hectic and crazy life, it's good to have a change of pace from time to time, and I appreciate having a little time to get some needed things done.
The things on my To Do list that I DID do: Went the the YMCA and walked an hour on the treadmill, made a breakfast that required no cooking, and very little clean up, i.e. fruit, yogurt, and cereal, packed two school lunches, worked in the school snack/lunch room with assistance from my helpful husband, hauled off the recycling to the landfill, took plastic bags for recycling to Lowes (No matter how many reusable shopping bags I take with me to the store, I always end up with a mountain of plastic bags in my recycling bin), returned three items to WalMart, which was relatively painless, and then headed next door to buy some teacher gift items. bought a buggy full of groceries (yep, I say buggy), walked my dog, and sort of cooked dinner.
 
I also ran a few of my errands. My first stop was Garland's Jewelry in Halifax.

In this package is my souvenir from Mount Vernon, which the family and I toured on Easter Sunday a couple of weeks ago: a silver dogwood charm and silver charm bracelet upon which to wear it. I took the charm and bracelet to Garland's Jewelry in The Town of Halifax, just across from the Courthouse to have the charm attached. For future reference, Owner Garland Childrey can solder charms on bracelets for about $6 each.  
 
After I dropped the charm and bracelet at Garland's I walked a few stores up to Triangle Florist, and delivered my Kentucky Derby party hat to Owner Bill Granger.This floppy sunhat has seen better days, and had the hat band sewn and monogrammed at Distinct Impressions in downtown South Boston for last year's Kentucky Derby party, so I wanted something fresh for this year's party. Bill Granger promised to add some fresh flowers to the hat, and within my $15 budget. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of magic Bill Granger has worked on my old hat when I I pick it up on Saturday morning. If anyone can salvage this old thing, he can!

You know you're in a small town when the jewelry store owner calls the floral shop owner to say that my bracelet is ready. I love our friendly community! I hadn't been in Triangle Florist very long at all, when Garland called to tell him that my bracelet was finished. Isn't it lovely? The dogwood is a favorite flower of mine. It is the Virginia state flower and state tree, and is a symbol of Easter, which is when I purchased the charm. I'm looking forward to adding more Virginia related charms...perhaps a cardinal, a pineapple, a wine glass...
Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week, May 5-9, 2014, and I am planning to send small gifts to the 8 teachers and administrators on behalf of the PTO each day of the week. I am on a tight PTO budget, and want to send inexpensive, but clever and nice gifts to them each day. These are the items we made last year for the teachers.
I went to the Dollar Tree and bought planters, cute and colorful cups, popcorn, milk duds, flower seed packets, baskets, Crystal Light, basket fillers, and more. I can't wait to make these projects and share them with you. And the teachers, of course.
This is not going in the teacher baskets, but how cute is this? I couldn't resist! I've seen these before, but not at the Dollar Tree. I will probably be back to buy more for the girlfriends. I have a girl's weekend coming up and my friend Laura would dig these, for sure. Maybe I can put a couple of these together with a bottle of wine and a couple of treats or cute little beachy things. Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions.
When I said I sort of cooked dinner, this is what I meant. I bought these awesome asparagus and cheddar cheese stuffed chicken breasts from Food Lion. I have never bought these meals before, but thought I'd give them a try since I had limited time, and I'm so glad I did. They were tasty and super easy. I also chopped and sliced some colorful veggies and tossed them in the steamer basket. Voila! Meal served.  
I also had to get the children ready for National Day of Prayer.  Mark was asked to say a prayer at the National Day of Prayer event, which was held at the Halifax County High School, and these two sweethearts accompanied him onto the stage. I hated to miss the event, but had been committed to work the Will Call table at the Prizery for the Beehive shows, and since every single upcoming show was completely sold out... 
How's My Beehive?
All dressed up and working Will Call at the Prizery. By my right side is Victoria Thomasson, Director of Halifax County Little Theatre's production of Beehive, the 60s Musical. This picture was from several days earlier, but you get the gist. Beehive has been the biggest hit. I can hardly believe the amazing talent here in Halifax County! Well done and many thanks to all who have made this production what it is. 

What a full, but productive day! I did a lot, but not everything on my list. This is what I did NOT do: Three loads of laundry (I did one and will call that a success) and clean the house.  I'm not too worried about those two items on my agenda. They'll still be there tomorrow...




Comments

Adsense