My favorite things ~ September 29-October 5, 2014














 

1.  This past week, a film crew from Utah visited South Boston, Virginia. Director of Tourism Linda Shepperd coordinated their stay, their filming locations, and even agreed to be interviewed about the area.  While I was talking with a few members of the film crew, one stated that every once in a while they visit a location and wish they had brought their spouses with them. They said that this was one of those places. They really enjoyed Southern Virginia, Halifax County, and their stay at the Berry Hill Plantation. Wondering how this Utah film crew found South Boston? The story is a fascinating one, and I'm writing all about it in a tourism article. I will be sure to share the article here on my personal blog when I'm done. You'll love what they do.  Linda Shepperd, myself, and the film crew are pictured here at the stairs of the Berry Hill Plantation. If you would like to visit Berry Hill yourself, you can. Tours are available, and the old antebellum plantation property is now a hotel and spa with beautifully appointed rooms, three on site restaurants, an indoor pool and fitness center, and conference center so you can stay as long as you'd like.  It is a premier wedding location in Southern Virginia, as well. See this for more information, packages, and to make reservations. 
2. Windmill Farm Bake Shop Donuts ~ As I was heading out the door on my way to Berry Hill to meet the film crew above, I thought that donuts from Windmill might make them happy and love South Boston even more. I purchased a box of a dozen lemon, cream filled, jelly filled, and chocolate covered donuts and carried them with me out to the film site. These donuts are melt-in-your-mouth delectable. The film crew loved them. After we were done for the day, I snuck back in the break room and grabbed one for myself. Is that tacky? I don't care. Some things are worth sacrificing proper manners. A Windmill donut is one of them. 
3. Square Dancing. That's right. Grabbing yer partner and do-si-do-ing. I sent out an email to the adult cast of Charlotte's Web a couple of weeks ago letting them know that we wanted to have a square dance in the play. I begged them to be good sports, thinking they might not be thrilled about the idea, but was so surprised to find that they loved it! Ms. Pat Crew, local dance instructor and dance studio owner for many years, met with the cast and taught them to square dance. If ever square dancing was cool, it's here and now. They have some of the neatest parts in their dance, which they happened to learn in one evening! They had a lot of fun with this, and I am excited about using it in the Halifax County Little Theatre's upcoming production of Charlotte's Web! It will be held at the Prizery in South Boston, Viriginia November 21 through November 30, 2014.  
4. The Halifax County Fair, an annual tradition held at the Halifax County Fairgrounds in South Boston each year. Despite not feeling well earlier in the week, and against my better judgment, I rode a few rides with the children, including the swings, carousel, Ferris wheel, and "The Rainbow," because Carrington wanted to ride with someone. The child was beyond thrilled! No regrets here.
Courtland starts talking about funnel cake the moment we mention the county fair. Or Disney World, or Busch Gardens, or really anywhere that funnel cake is sold. It is sort of our fall and festival staple. No chocolate, no sprinkles, no strawberries. Just plain funnel cake with the simple powdered sugar on top. Yum.
They went easy on him, of course, because he is only 7 years old, but said that he did an outstanding job on the bull, lasting 44 seconds. He first rode a bull like this at Clarksville's Lake Fest last summer. This ride went much smoother than his first. I think we may have a bucking bronco rider on our hands. So much fun!
This picture was taken of me before Carrington and I rode the Rainbow. I'm so glad that we didn't take one after I got off. Let's just say I may or may not have been smiling.
As if funnel cake weren't enough, we continued to load the children up on sugar by providing them with candy apples. They twisted our arms and convinced us that they were only part junk, the other part was healthy. How can you argue with that? Anyway, the Halifax County Fair only comes once a year.
*Tip: We went to the fair on Friday night, which was Military Appreciation Night. The four of us were admitted for $12, a $6 discount. We purchased the the $40 wristbands for a special military discount rate of $15 each. I cannot thank the fair administration enough for hosting a Military Appreciation Night. Things like this mean so much to our family, and WE appreciate YOU!  
5. Baby Shower with Girlfriends ~ Our friend Jennifer and her husband Dave, who now have twin six year olds, are expecting a baby girl this fall. Fifteen or so friends gathered at our house this past Sunday to shower Jenn and new baby with gifts and love! Throwing this shower was a group effort, and I'll throw a party with any of these ladies any day! Ronnie Bennett made the delicious strawberry and lime zest cupcakes. Let me say that again. Strawberry and lime zest. Yes, they tasted as yummy as they sound and as they look. Mary Tucker Irby made the gorgeous floral arrangement in a vase "from the farm," and the pink paper puffs.   
  
We were having such a good time being together, that taking a group picture completely slipped my mind. I did capture one of Jennifer and her mother, and this one of Randi, Rhonda, Jennifer, Mary Tucker, and me. Thanks to all of those who came over to support Jenn and Baby Duplantier. We had fun celebrating.
This current week is already in full swing, and I don't mean the square dancing type. I hope you have a productive week, balanced with time to relax and enjoy the simple pleasures that life in Southern Virginia has to offer. I'm headed out today to enjoy some homemade butternut squash soup with a friend. I have a feeling her soup may make next week's list. 
Wishing you the very best.
xoxo, Erin
Southern Virginia mom 

Comments

Adsense